The judge who oversaw Karmelo Anthony’s murder trial in Texas has been removed from the case as Anthony’s defense team prepares to return to court in an effort to secure a new trial.
Judge John Roach Jr. was ordered to step aside on Wednesday following a verified motion for recusal filed by the defense on July 5. Judge Michael B. Chitty will now take over the post-trial proceedings, including Anthony’s attempt to obtain a new trial.
Anthony, who was convicted of murdering 17-year-old Austin Metcalf, is currently serving a 35-year prison sentence.
Defense challenges handling of the trial

Anthony’s attorneys have raised several objections to the way the original trial was conducted, arguing that restrictions imposed by Roach prevented their client from receiving a fair trial.
The defense also alleges that prosecutors prevented Anthony from testifying on his own behalf.
Their concerns about Roach extended beyond what happened inside the courtroom. In the motion seeking his recusal, Anthony’s attorneys pointed to television interviews the judge gave to WFAA-TV just two days after the jury returned its verdict.
The defense also cited a June 19 comment Roach provided to Fox News defending rulings he had made during the proceedings. That comment was later shared publicly by a network employee.
Judge Sid Harle, who normally presides in another county, granted the defense request to remove Roach from the case.
According to the Associated Press, Harle indicated that he believed Roach could likely continue to handle the proceedings fairly. However, he concluded that the judge’s conduct could reasonably create questions about his impartiality.
With Roach now recused, Chitty will oversee the next stage of the case as Anthony and his attorneys pursue their request for a new trial.
The confrontation that led to Austin Metcalf’s death

Anthony was convicted in the death of Austin Metcalf following a confrontation between the two teenagers at a high school track event.
According to an eyewitness account provided to police, the dispute began on a rainy day when Metcalf asked Anthony to leave an area beneath a tent that had been set up for members of Metcalf’s high school track team.
The witness said Anthony reached into his bag during the confrontation and warned Metcalf: “Touch me and see what happens.”
Metcalf then attempted to physically move Anthony, according to the eyewitness. Anthony pulled out a knife and stabbed Metcalf in the chest before running from the tent.
The confrontation unfolded in less than 30 seconds, according to the arrest affidavit. Multiple witnesses gave authorities broadly similar accounts of what happened.
Anthony raised self-defense after the stabbing

The affidavit also detailed Anthony’s statements to police after officers arrived.
When an arresting officer referred to him as an “alleged suspect,” Anthony responded: “I’m not alleged, I did it,” according to the document.
Anthony also told the officer, “He put his hands on me. I told him not to.”
At another point, the affidavit states, Anthony asked authorities whether what had happened could be considered self-defense.
A jury ultimately found Anthony guilty of murdering Metcalf, and he was sentenced to 35 years in prison.
The conviction remains in place. The latest development concerns the judge overseeing the post-trial proceedings, with Anthony’s defense now preparing to return to court under Judge Michael B. Chitty as it seeks a new trial.